[Dnsmasq-discuss] Distributed dnsmasq or similar?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Fri Mar 30 15:07:53 BST 2012

 I'm one of a small knit group of administrators that administrator a
 larger (?)
 cluster (~2k machines). Unfortunatly, IBM is in charge of the actuall
 network,
 and they're just to darn incompetent!

 So every now and then, the network, services (such as DNS) just stops
 working without
 apparent reason, leading to all sorts of trouble for us...

 I installed DNSMasq last weekend to help combat that, and it DID work.
 But we'd like
 to improve on it even further if possible.

 We would like ALL machines to cache basically the same information
 (basically the whole
 DNS for these machines - they have their own name space). And/or to
 share that information
 with each other.

 So question 1: Can one tell dnsmasq to always do a dns transfer before
 it starts?
 Q2: Can the cache be shared amongst all the machine (without going
 through NFS etc)?

 We're currently happy with the nodes just being able to find and talk
 to each other,
 so if the network (or any of it's services we do not control) dies,
 they can at least
 still talk to each other and continue the data crunching...
 --
 ... but you know as soon as Oracle starts waving its wallet at a
 Company it's time to run - fast.