[Dnsmasq-discuss] proxy dhcp does not send dhcp-options

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 18:06:56 BST 2012

On 09/04/12 17:59, Jochen Dekeyser wrote:
> I forgot to mention I tried this with version 2.48 on CentOS6 and
> version 2.52 on Fedora 14.
>
> Jochen
>
> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Jochen Dekeyser
> <jochen.dekeyser at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I already tried to use dhcp-option-force but it does not make any difference...
>>
>> My testcase (= dnsmasq as full dhcp vs dnsmasq as proxy dhcp) was
>> tested on the same client, so the full dhcp sends dhcp-options, the
>> proxy dhcp does not send my dhcp-options...
>>
>> I now even checked it with Wireshark and the client does ask for all
>> the specified parameters (and lots of others)...
>>
>> Thx for reply!
>> Jochen
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Simon Kelley<simon at thekelleys.org.uk>  wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem might be that the option numbers in question are not being
>>> requested by the client. This is easy to fix by using dhcp-option-force
>>> intsead of dhcp-option, so  that options are sent anyway.
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Simon.

I just looked at the code, and it doesn't attempt to include
generally-specified options in the PXE-proxy reply, only the stuff
required for the PXE protocol. Do you know that what you're trying to do
is valid (ie send general options via the PXE-proxy reply, rather than
have the client get them from the server which does address allocation.)?

It may be time to consult the Intel PXE specification. Abandon hope......