[Dnsmasq-discuss] proxy dhcp does not send dhcp-options

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 9 19:54:35 BST 2012

On 09/04/12 18:24, Jochen Dekeyser wrote:
> I previously tried it using only dhcp-option 17, like they do here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ProxyDHCP
>
> Dhcp-option 17 is the root-path: the path which should be used by the
> pxe-client to boot from. This should be proxy dhcp-stuff, not?

I quick look through the old dnsmasq releases shows that this hasn't
ever changed, so the UbunutuLTSP can never have worked in the proxy format.

I consulted the PXE spec:

download.intel.com/design/archives/wfm/downloads/pxespec.pdf

and on page 25 it says:

In this state, the client must also be prepared to receive one or more
standard DHCPOFFER messages from servers. Each of these messages will
contain configuration information as specified in RFC 2131. Each
extended DHCPOFFER message can also contain configuration information as
specified in RFC 2132. Which, of these configurations, if any, is used
by the client is not defined by this specification. If the client
decides to accept one of the configurations offered, then it must engage
in further communications with the server as specified in RFC 2132.

So this method is, at least theoretically possible. I wonder if any
clients implement it in a sane way?