[Dnsmasq-discuss] server config options not working

Ian Rose irose123 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 13:16:38 BST 2012

If it helps, the dnsmasq.conf is the standard sample one edited to use the
few options in the simple setup mentioned in this page:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessBroadcastSystem

Any ideas why the server option isn't working in dnsmasq with this setup?

Thanks,
Ian.

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Ian Rose <irose123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please excuse my lack of networking knowledge, it's not my day job and I'm
> trying to pick it up as I go.
>
> Other threads suggest this is what the server config option is for, I was
> surprised it didn't work straight away. Is this not right?
>
> I know ip tables can be very complex to set up but know nothing about
> them. Can someone quickly just tell me how to get twitter.com and other
> named domains to be resolved 'properly' via eth0 no matter which interface
> the request is made on, while still resolving all other addresses to
> localhost on wlan0 as they do now?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 4:09 PM, richardvoigt at gmail.com <
> richardvoigt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> DNS is the wrong place to implement this behavior.
>>
>> Interception of TCP connections is done with packet rewriting rules in
>> iptables, and you'll need to set up your exceptions there also.
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM, Ian Rose <irose123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  I have set up a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS desktop machine with 2 interfaces
>>> (eth0 and wlan0). wlan0 acts as a wifi access point using hostapd.
>>>
>>> dnsmasq is installed OK, and everything works so that locally on that
>>> machine DNS works fine as normal, but connections over wlan0 get everything
>>> routed to localhost. This means for example that you can view a website
>>> using firefox on the local machine, but connect via wlan from a phone, for
>>> example, and you get routed to an internally hosted website. All well and
>>> good so far.
>>>
>>> I want to add domains that will be excepted from this default behavior,
>>> for example to allow someone connected via wlan to be able to tweet from
>>> the internal website. I have tried using both the server and address
>>> options in the dnsmasq.conf file, but neither work.
>>>
>>> *#This has no effect at all:
>>> server=/twitter.com/#
>>>
>>> #Neither does this:
>>> server=/twitter.com/192.168.1.254 at eth0*
>>>
>>> Where 192.168.1.254 is the IP address of the router it's attached to via
>>> eth0 and the gateway to the internet. Nor does replacing this IP address
>>> with the DNS lookup addresses specified in the router config. IP address
>>> for twitter.com is gives 10.0.0.2 as before, the address of this
>>> machine via wlan0.
>>>
>>> Alternatively trying something like the following seems to resolve
>>> addresses OK, but makes a browser on the wireless connected device (eg
>>> phone) hang:
>>> *
>>> address=/twitter.com/199.59.150.7
>>> address=/twimg.com/184.169.81.33
>>> address=/ssl.google-analytics.com/173.194.41.94