[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS in DNsmasq

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Apr 25 00:37:21 BST 2012

Incidently, before you setup your own recursive server, the big problem
I measure is that without a load of traffic, your latencies are just
terrible because nothing is in cache... I tested a recursive cache on my
rack and it wasn't great, so I looked into the datacenter provided one
and had the same kinds of latency issues (first query slow, second is
great, but I'm always doing "first queries"...)

Basically if you are the first person in the last 60 seconds to lookup
www.yahoo.com then it's going around the world and will take some time.
If you have a busy enough cache then someone is paying the penalty for
you quite regularly and your responses look good.  I suspect you need
really quite a LOT of traffic before your recursive server gets decently
warm... So my thought would be to use a big upstream that you trust,
unless you are "ISP sized"

Regards

Ed W