[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.61 no periodic RA's

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sun May 6 19:17:42 BST 2012

On 06/05/12 15:59, Jim Bos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been trying the new router-advertisement and seems to work well.
> For the moment I'm just doing RA, no state-full dhcp yet.
>
> But what I'm seeing is everything works but as there is no periodic RA
> (I've been monitoring with wireshark) is sent, so the advertised default
> route times out after 1800s and ipv6 routing is lost.
>
> I have only these relevant ipv6 statements now:
>
> dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]
> dhcp-range=2001:XXXX:XXXX:fd::, ra-stateless, ra-names
> enable-ra
>
> When I restart dnsmasq, I *do* see an RTR-ADVERT in the logs and an
> actual RA on the wire.
>
> So what's preventing periodic RA's being sent or what am I missing ?

I think this is a bug: There's a different code-path used to trigger
periodic RAs when no DHCP is configured.

If I'm right, then

kill -ALRM <pid of dnsmasq> should start periodic RA's and configuring
any DHCP service, IPv4 or IPv6 should also make things work.

Please let us know if this works, if it does I'll make a patch ASAP.