[Dnsmasq-discuss] Local network, local DNS and public remote DNS

L.M.J linuxmasterjedi at free.fr
Mon May 7 22:19:59 BST 2012

Hi,

  Here is my problem, I'm trying to be as clear as possible.
1) Got a local network, let's say 3 PCs :  PC1, PC2 and PC3
2) local network name is : foo.com
3) All /etc/hosts are like this
    domaine foo.com
    search foo.com
    nameserver 192.168.0.254

4) ping PC1, PC2 or PC3 or PC1.foo.com PC2.foo.com PC3.foo.com works

5) PC1 is 192.168.0.254, it hosts dnsmasq used as a DNS cache
6) PC1 /etc/hosts
    domaine foo.com
    search foo.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver MY.ISP.DNS.IP

7) I also own a public domain name foo.com, so pc1.foo.com resolve to its
public IP : 11.22.33.44. This domain is owned by my favorite registrar.

Problem : when I add an entry "remoteserver.foo.com" (IP : 22.33.44.55) in my
public DNS entries : any computer from the local network can find it because
PC1, PC2 and PC3 search it in the local network instead of asking to the remote
public DNS : how can I solve this?

  Thanks

--
 LMJ
 "May the source be with you my young padawan"