[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq unresponsive to /etc/hosts queries during WAN network outages

starlight at binnacle.cx starlight at binnacle.cx
Tue May 8 20:28:55 BST 2012

Thanks Simon.  I ran some tests with --log-queries
and discovered that 'dnsmasq' is working
perfectly here.

What's been causing the trouble is that various
script-generated alarm-emails are failing to
queue to because 'sendmail' is seeing temporary
lookup failures on DNSBL queries to Spamhaus
and Barracuda.  I can fix this by adjusting
the 'sendmail' configuration to except local
network addresses from DNSBL lookups.

I started from the wrong assumption here.  Local
DNS lookups during network outages were a problem
at one point awhile ago.  Some change I made
along the way fixed that problem.

Thanks for your help.