[Dnsmasq-discuss] strange list server bounces

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue May 8 20:44:14 BST 2012

On 08/05/12 20:05, Nicholas Weaver wrote:

> On May 8, 2012, at 8:15 AM, starlight at binnacle.cx wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> A problem of some sort exists with the list server configuration.
>> All messages submitted from here bounce when relayed by a mature
>> 'sendmail' configuration.  Only way to submit messages is manually
>> using 'nc' directly to one of the MX servers.  Bounce message
>> example follows.
>
> Stupid speculation: is your local sendmail reacting badly to
> ipv6.thekelleys.org.uk only having a AAAA record but no A record?
>
> Since "Unrouteable address" errors are commonly due to "Misconfigured
> DNS".

The problem turns out to be that "lists.thekelleys.org.uk" is a CNAME
for "thekelleys.org.uk", which the OP's sendmail installation took as
permission to rewrite the destination from lists.thekelleys.org.uk to
just thekelleys.org,uk. When it tried to deliver to
dnsmasq-discuss at thekelleys.org.uk the mailman installation here barfed
because it was configured to accept mail only to
dnsmasq-discuss at lists.thekelleys.org.uk

I'm a very amateur mail admin but I'm assured that this rewriting is
correct behaviour. Anyway the simple fix is to allow thekelleys.org.uk
as a valid domain for mailman lists.

Simon.

The fix is too