[Dnsmasq-discuss] strange list server bounces

starlight at binnacle.cx starlight at binnacle.cx
Tue May 8 20:58:20 BST 2012

Another way to fix this if a sub-domain for
the list server is aesthetically (or practically)
more desirable, is to replace the CNAME record
with explicit A and AAAA records.

The presence of CNAME historically is stronger
than permission to rewrite, rather it demands
rewriting of the address.  This makes logical
sense as CNAME is primarily intended for migrating
from one DNS name to another--not so much
as an alias mechanism.  However newer MTAs
apparently fail to comply properly so the
rewrite is not always happening as it should.