[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq 2.61 no periodic RA's and sendto errors

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Sat May 12 15:34:40 BST 2012

On 11/05/12 15:16, Vladislav Grishenko wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> dnsmasq 2.61 has couple of issues:
> 1. No Router Advertisement and corresponding syslog sendto error when
> replying on Router Solicitation from Windows XP and possible other OSes
> It's caused by absence of source IPv6 address in RS packet, what is allowed
> by RFC if host's interface doesn't acquired valid link-local yet
> In this case RA should be sent to all nodes multicast address (sources has
> ALL_HOSTS define, which has a bit different meaning)
> 2. For non-slaac modes periodic RA doesn't work because next RA event could
> be reset by empty next slaac event
> Actually it could work only for the first time, if additional random delay
> is 0.
>
> Patches attached.
>
> Best Regards, Vladislav Grishenko

Many thanks. That solves the mystery of the sometime-missing periodic
RAs. I was aware that could sometime happen, but hadn't reproduced the
problem.

I've put out 2.62test1 with these fixes in place. This probably needs
another release, but I'll leave it a week or two in case any other
regressions come to light in 2.61.

Jim, I'm pretty sure this is the fix for you problem.