[Dnsmasq-discuss] Caching issue question

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Fri May 18 11:54:52 BST 2012

On 18/05/12 11:29, Nick wrote:
> Hi Simon,
> sorry I did not know that I have to specify the CNAME for A and AAAA. I
> will add the entries to our DNS then. Would it be possible to have a
> CNAME for the A and AAAA entry even when the CNAMEs point to different
> locations? I always thought that the cached response gets stored with
> the type of the entry (A or AAAA).

A CNAME maps from one domain name to another, the records associated
with the domain to points to are quite independent.

I'm not sure how you would even specify "this is the CNAME to return for
an A (or AAAA) query" in an authoritative nameserver. Does powerDNS
allow that? Clearly it allows configuration that only returns CNAME for
some query types.