[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCP message

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon May 21 11:59:33 BST 2012

On 21/05/12 11:34, Ian Rose wrote:
> Is it possible to send a message to the client device when an IP address
> is allocated via DHCP? This would only be a static info message for my
> purposes, and it wouldn't matter much if some clients didn't support
> showing it and so ignored it.
>
> Apparently Apple Wi-Fi routers do this, but I'm not sure if this is a
> vendor-specific addition or something that other DHCP servers are
> capable of too.
>
> Thanks.

The closest to useful information I could Google-up was this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/dhcpd-welcome-message-767020/

which indicates that it's a vendor specific option, but not which.

If you can find out what DHCP option is used, dnsmasq can almost
certainly be configured to send it.

Maybe ask Apple support?