[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and sshfp records

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon May 28 10:17:33 BST 2012

On 27/05/12 20:20, Gerd Koenig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 25 May 2012 16:11, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk
> <mailto:simon at thekelleys.org.uk>> wrote:
>
>     On 25/05/12 12:14, Jan-Piet Mens wrote:
>     >> relaxing the hex parsing to make colons and leading zeros
>     optional gets
>     >> the possibility of something that's almost an natural encoding in
>     this
>     >> case, and may be generally useful if less easy to use.
>     >>
>     >> dns-rr=44,2:1:123456789abcdef67890123456789abcdef67890
>     >>
>     >> Opinions?
>     >
>     > Go for it!
>     >
>     > I recommend reading RFC 3597, Section 5 on the text-representation of
>     > arbitrary DNS RR types, and if possible lean towards that, making
>     lives
>     > of people who copy paste RDATA easier. :)
>     >

>     I'll support that as well.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Simon.
>

> I like the approach of supporting arbitrary RR types, since it is a very
> flexible, future oriented solution and it covers my original question
> also :-)
> After some investigation it pointed out that using DNSSEC would be a bit
> too much overhead because we are inside a secure network (just as a
> feedback to JP).
>
> How is the workflow for adding a new functionality, some kind of rules
> for working @dnsmasq source ?!?!
> I'm not a C guru, but I'd like to contribute as much as I can to speed
> up the implementation of supporting arbitrary RR types......immediately
> after my Corpus Christi vacation ;-) ....

In general, work on the head if the git tree, and send me patches.

In this case, I'm happy to do the coding, which is no big deal when you
know the code, but I'd really appreciate it if you could test the
result. I want to get this into the 2.62 release, which is overdue, so
getting it independently tested will make me happier to push it out.

I'll have something available later today.