[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq is broken

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue May 29 15:25:29 BST 2012

On 29/05/12 15:13, e9hack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using dnsmasq on an ADSL router (Speedport W500V with a modified BitSwitcher
> firmware). Dnsmasq is used as a dns resolver and a DHCP/DHCPv6 server. RA is done by
> radvd, because it is easier to manage the address for a 6to4 auto tunnel with radvd.
>
> since v2.62test4:
> The clients don't get an IPv6 address. They got an IPv4 address only. v2.62test3 works fine.
>
> since v2.62rc1:
> I'm not able to start dnsmasq, because it complains about the user and group of the lease
> file. It tries to access /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases and /var/dnsmasq.leases, but
> /var/dnsmasq.leases is set in the config file by 'dhcp-leasefile=/var/dnsmasq.leases'
> only. The router has the users root:root and nobody:nogroup. v2.62test4 does start.
>
> Regards,
> Hartmut

How are you building dnsmasq? Does the process involve making Debian
packages? That's the only change I can see on that timescale that could
possibly break things like this.

Please could you supply the exact error messages you're seeing about the
lease file, and a complete copy of your configuration. (off-list, to me
direct, if you prefer).

.... and thanks for running bleeding-edge code and helping to catch
these problems.