[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq: syntax check OK. (but not really..)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Jun 7 13:46:19 BST 2012

On 07/06/12 13:13, B. Cook wrote:
> I am running dnsmasq 2.61 on a CentOS 6.2 (amd64) machine and we have a
> 'new person' helping with the editing of the various dnsmasq config
> files we have..
>
> The other day we had a problem which was created by a duplicate IP
> address in two of the configs..
>
> dnsmasq --test validated it but when the process was restarted we were
> left with this:
>
> Jun  5 13:08:20 vmdns dnsmasq[7432]: duplicate IP address 10.20.39.200
> in dhcp-config directive.
> Jun  5 13:08:20 vmdns dnsmasq[7432]: FAILED to start up
>
> and continued for almost 30 minutes..
>
> Jun  5 13:40:42 vmdns dnsmasq[9410]: duplicate IP address 10.20.39.200
> in dhcp-config directive.
> Jun  5 13:40:42 vmdns dnsmasq[9410]: FAILED to start up

Passing --test does not guarantee that dnsmasq will start sucessfully:
there are lots of error conditions that will cause start-up failure
which are not syntax errors and which can't be checked for by --test.

This one, however, can be checked by --test and I'll add it to the code.

It might be worth looking at your daemontools setup to check the
return-code from dnsmasq and do something more sensible under these
circumstances.

> (we have dnsmasq in daemontools.. which tries to keep it going as this
> seems to happen in linux more than it did in FreeBSD..)
> dnsmasq[1005]: segfault at 78 ip 000000000041ac28 sp 00007fff24a74050
> error 6 in dnsmasq[400000+34000]

It would be good to try and find why that's occurring, but there's
nothing like enough information there to do it. Does this happen often
enough to make it worthwhil trying to capture a core dump?