[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 DNS name registration?

Chris O'Shea oshea.chris.james at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 10:29:48 BST 2012

Good Morning All,

I am currently running dnsmasq 2.62 with the following options set in
the configuration file:

domain-needed
no-resolv
local=/me.com/
domain=me.com
no-dhcp-interface=eth0
no-dhcp-interface=eth2
expand-hosts
dhcp-range=fd00:ead5:c0a8:103::100,fd00:ead5:c0a8:103::200
dhcp-option=option6:dns-server,[::]
log-queries
log-dhcp

this quite happily configures IPv6 and the DNS server on the client machine,
but I am currently working on getting the client to register its
hostname with dnsmasq so that I can "ping6 <hostname>" from an
alternate machine.  All clients send the IPv6 lookup through the
dnsmasq machine, but because nothing has been registered it obviously
can't resolve anything.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer an insight into any missing
options from the list above that could be causing this lack of
registration when using an IPv6 only system?

I would also be grateful to anyone who could advise how they have
their IPv6-only network setup and functioning with DNS name registration.

Best Regards,

Chris.