[Dnsmasq-discuss] static ip configuration

richardvoigt at gmail.com richardvoigt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:52:19 BST 2012

hostname -> IP mapping is DNS, not related to DHCP.  dnsmasq adds DHCP
information into the DNS zone.

DHCP has to map the information provided by the client (that is a MAC
address, quite reliable, and a client ID, quite unreliable) to an IP
address to be offered.  I guess you're wanting the client ID to be
matched to a hostname in /etc/hosts?

Basically, this would allow any client to claim a name of its choice,
which requires trusting clients, and dnsmasq is used in many locations
where the clients aren't that trustworthy.  So you have to enable it
in the configuration file (with dhcp-host lines).