[Dnsmasq-discuss] server-side dynamic resolving

Travis Hansen travisghansen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 02:21:23 BST 2012

I'm attempting to integrate dnsmasq with mdns.  I'm not really sure
how to go about it but I'll explain the scenario...

1. My machine is known as '15z' and via mdns clients resolves as 15z.local
2. I have apache running mod_dnssd (not actually critical to the
situation but gives context at least) with a virtual host
15z.foobar.dev
3. I'd like to make it so 15z.foobar.dev gets returned by dnsmasq as
whatever the current value of 15z.local is (the server is running
avahi).  I'd rather not run stuff client side.

Anyone have any great suggestions for me?  I've thought about
combinations of entering cname records into dnsmasq and somehow trying
to integrate that but ultimately I couldn't get dnsmasq to return what
the local *server* resolves a given name too (limited to just
hosts/dhcp/upstream dns).

--
Travis Hansen
travisghansen at gmail.com