[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6: selective RAs

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Sep 12 13:35:52 BST 2012

On 12/09/12 13:04, Lutz Preßler wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I don't see a way to have RAs only for certain clients like
> radvd (from radvd.conf.5:)
> "By  default  radvd will send route advertisements so that every node on the
> link can use them.  The list of clients (IPv6 address) to advertise to,
> and accept route solicitations from can be configured.  If done, radvd
> does not send send messages to the multicast  addresses  but to  the
> configured  unicast  addresses  only.  Solicitations from other addresses
> are refused.  This is similar to UnicastOnly but includes periodic messages
> and incoming client access configuration.  See examples section for a use
> case of this.
> "
>
> Is this a feature you would implement?

I don't think this is an appropriate feature for dnsmasq, the philosophy
is that it should provide a basic RA service for networks which are
really using DHCPv6 for the complex stuff. For complex RA setups, radvd
is the way to go, I don't want to re-implement all of radvd.

> Only sending stateful DHCPv6 but no RAs is not possible either, is it?

If you configure DHCPv6 for a subnet, you get stateful DHCPv6 but no RA.
That should combine with radvd fine, I think.