[Dnsmasq-discuss] Need a little IPv6 clarification

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Sep 14 20:39:04 BST 2012

I have been trying to get some (virtual) IPv6 networks working with
dnsmasq acting as both an dhcp6 server and a dns server.  I really do
not care how the IP6 addresses are assigned but I do want the system
names in dnsmasq's dns service so that these systems can be referred to
by name.

At some point in time I had dnsmasq actually handing out IP6 addresses
via dhcp ... or it certainly looked like that since the address was in
the range I specified.  That said, I no longer know just what my
configuration was.

Basically, I am not sure I understand the meanings or effects of the
various parameters on the dhcp-range specification.  Specifically, what
specifying nothing or ra-name or slaac or ra-stateless or ra-only means
.. what are the effects of each are ... or when you combine them what
happens.

I have read the dnsmasq man page but I need a little more info.  It sure
would be nice to see what a working configuration looked like.

It would be nice if dnsmasq's dns service could be updated regardless of
how the address is specified (other than manually) but if only a subset
(or even one) will work ... well, that works for me too.

Yes, I searched this mailing list and found the messages saying that you
had to specify the fqdn and not just the hostname ... but that was well
after I did a lot of parameter "testing".

My next step is to take a look at the dnsmasq code to see if I can
figure things out but a few pointers and hints would be appreciated.

Gene