[Dnsmasq-discuss] Need a little IPv6 clarification

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sat Sep 15 15:20:07 BST 2012

On 09/14/2012 03:39 PM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> I have been trying to get some (virtual) IPv6 networks working with
> dnsmasq acting as both an dhcp6 server and a dns server.  I really do
> not care how the IP6 addresses are assigned but I do want the system
> names in dnsmasq's dns service so that these systems can be referred
> to by name.
>
> At some point in time I had dnsmasq actually handing out IP6 addresses
> via dhcp ... or it certainly looked like that since the address was in
> the range I specified.  That said, I no longer know just what my
> configuration was.
>
> Basically, I am not sure I understand the meanings or effects of the
> various parameters on the dhcp-range specification. Specifically, what
> specifying nothing or ra-name or slaac or ra-stateless or ra-only
> means .. what are the effects of each are ... or when you combine them
> what happens.
>
> I have read the dnsmasq man page but I need a little more info. It
> sure would be nice to see what a working configuration looked like.
>
> It would be nice if dnsmasq's dns service could be updated regardless
> of how the address is specified (other than manually) but if only a
> subset (or even one) will work ... well, that works for me too.
>
> Yes, I searched this mailing list and found the messages saying that
> you had to specify the fqdn and not just the hostname ... but that was
> well after I did a lot of parameter "testing".
>
> My next step is to take a look at the dnsmasq code to see if I can
> figure things out but a few pointers and hints would be appreciated.

OK, progress.  I have gotten dnsmasq to do the right thing (I belieive)
for IPv6 addresses.  However, dns is not updating.  I believe the reason
for that is that NetworkManager is not sending the FQDN with the dhcp6
request.

But I still have a question.  Reading the man file for dnsmasq I see
that specifying "ra-names" that dnsmasq should go through this dance to
do a dns update.  What needs to be specified to get that?

Gene