[Dnsmasq-discuss] local DNS with multiple NIC?

K R kiwirider777 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 13:52:32 BST 2012

Hi there.

I would like to know if DNSMasq can fit in with my needs.

I had started this project using DNSMasq but for some reason rejected
it. Most likely it was because I would like my employer to be able to do
some of the work of administering the system if/when needed, and DNSMasq
doesn't have a supported/maintained WebMin module (the boss, while able
to repair Windows systems, has no Linux and little networking
experience). However, the needs of a decently working system over-ride
the desire to make things easier for the boss.

I work in a small computer repair shop, and am building a server that
will a) allow us to boot various tools/installers over PXE, b) provide
DNS along with site blocking, c) keep the planned "halves" of the
network separate from each other while acting as a internet gateway (one
half for machines suspected of having malware, the other for those known
to be safe, to lessen the risk of cross-infection), d) fileserver and e)
to handle our databases.

I know it's a bit for one machine, but we need to keep costs low.
Running more than one machine is simply to much.

To make life easier, especially with the PXE side of things, I'd like to
replace IP's with a domain. Some parts of the setup (eg those which use
NFS) currently have an IP in the config. From what I've seen there's
nothing in the current system that would let me have the right server IP
given depending on which side of the network a machine is connected to,
and I'd like to have as much isolation between the two sides as
possible. If I can replace the IP's with the server's domain name, and
have that connect to the appropriate IP, then that should solve a number
of my issues.

Currently I am using TFTPD-HPA, Bind9, and the ISC dhcp server. I have
previously used DNSMasq in a simillar but far less complex setup and
found it did a pretty good job, and would like to go back to it.
However, I need to know that it can do what I need, and preferably
without changing much of my current setup - especially the menus for the
various PXE options.

Hope this is clear. Been a rather long and trying/tiring day, and not
all neurons firing :)

Thanks in advance,
David