[Dnsmasq-discuss] Using IPv6 DHCP

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Oct 1 21:43:06 BST 2012

On 01/10/12 21:13, Sean Boran wrote:
> "I have not tested dnsmasq to see if it could provide the RA, dhcp, and dns
> services for IPv6 but I am interested that it would."
>
> It can do RA, but I disabled it, as I did on my router. For me it was
> necessary on my Ubuntu client to prevent it having a SLAAC address.
>
> I'd not noticed the route issue though, and
> dhcp-option=option6:router
> can't be used with an Ipv6 address. oops.
>
> Enabling RA in dnsmasq, with dhcp , and setting the network manager to auto
> in Ubuntu 12.04 causes SLAAC addresses (2) to be assigned and the default
> route to work.
>
> Hmm. I'd like to assign specific, not slaac addresses, but of course a
> default route too.

You're right that there's no DHCPv6 option for default route: that has
to come from RA. It is possible to do RA broadcasts and tell the client
to use them for getting a default route, but not a SLAAC address, so
that the address stuff happens by DHCPv6. That mode is what dnsmasq does
on a subnet where there is an IPv6 dhcp-range, and enable-ra is set.