[Dnsmasq-discuss] System tries to get its address by DHCP before dnsmasq starts up - how to stop it?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Oct 4 12:20:57 BST 2012

On Thu, Oct 04, 2012 at 10:23:33AM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> I have a little server system running dnsmasq version 2.59 under Ubuntu
> 12.04 (I have just upgraded it from Ubuntu 10.04).
>
> While booting it tries to get its network configuration (using DHCP
> presumably) from the LAN, since *it's* the DHCP server this doesn't work
> but it wastes a lot of time waiting for things to time out and produces
> various error messages on the way.
>
> How do I configure the system so that it doesn't do this?

Further to this the delay is cause by /etc/init/failsafe.conf, even if I
have static IP correctly configured in /etc/network/interfaces the silly
init sequence still does all the waits in /etc/init/failsafe.conf
waiting for DHCP.

Google searches just produce the standard way to set up static IP but
no workaround for the delays.

--
Chris Green