[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to add local configuration to Network Manager initiated dnsmasq in Ubuntu 12.04

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Oct 8 19:01:54 BST 2012

I have run dnsmasq with local configuration for quite a while now to
provide local DNS services on my home LAN.

I am now upgrading my machines to [xl]ubuntu 12.04 and in this version
dnsmasq is run automatically by Network Manager.  A default installation
just puts the following in resolv.conf:-

    # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
    #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
    nameserver 127.0.0.1

How can I customize the dnsmasq configuration in a way that won't get
broken by future upgrades?  The NM dnsmasq runs as follows:-

    chris$ ps -ef | grep dnsmasq
    nobody    1341  1090  0 17:40 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/dnsmasq --no-resolv --keep-in-foreground --no-hosts --bind-interfaces --pid-file=/var/run/sendsigs.omit.d/network-manager.dnsmasq.pid --listen-address=127.0.0.1 --conf-file=/var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf --cache-size=0 --proxy-dnssec

Since the config file is specified as "--conf-file=/var/run/nm-dns-dnsmasq.conf"
it's difficult to do anything that won't get lost at upgrade time.

--
Chris Green