[Dnsmasq-discuss] dropped dhcp6 packet logging revisited

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Wed Oct 24 11:33:35 BST 2012

>On 23/10/12 17:32, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>

>> I am going to add some code to do such logging because it seems I need
>> some proof that the problem exists. I have no idea why, but there
>> appears to be reluctance on the part of the libvirt developers to accept
>> adding the interface= parameter to dnsmasq. I believe that, even with my
>> limited testing, I have seen the problem occur.
>>

>It's probably possible, as a fallback position, to make a dnsmasq
>instance with a single --listen-address config do the right thing.
>That would preclude changes to libbvirt.

>Simon.

OK, so this is vaguely embarrassing. Having checked the actual code,
rather than the changelog, I see that dnsmasq >=2.61 _already_ does the
right thing. Setting --bind-interfaces* and a single --listen-address
will cause the code to set SO_BINDTODEVICE on the DHCP socket(s).

So, there is not a problem with the existing libvirt command line.

Gene, apologies for sending you on a wild-goose chase with this.

* or bind-dyanmic on 2.63 and later.