[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq and RA

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Wed Oct 31 20:41:39 GMT 2012

Instead of running both radvd and dnsmasq, I would like to run only
dnsmasq and have it do what is now being done by radvd.

This is for libvirt so there are some specifics which could help.

1. There will be one and only one interface for an instance of dnsmasq.

2. Currently (at least with some patches I have created) run one ipv4
dhcp subnetwork or one ipv6 dhcp supnetwork or both one ipv4 network and
one ipv6 network.

3.  If a dhcp-range is specified for the ipv6 subnetwork then I need the
AdvManagedFlag on which (I believe) is done with the additional dsnmasq
parameter "enable-ra".

4.  But, I may have an IPv6 subnetwork but dhcp-range has not been
specified.  In this case I want the AdvManagedFlag off.  This one is the
situation that I am not clear on.

5.  None of the other dnsmasq capabilities with respect to RA will be used.

Comments/suggestions?

If this requires a little enhancement patch, I am willing.

Gene