[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq identification

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Mon Nov 5 18:18:45 GMT 2012

Libvirt currently intends not require updating to some recent version of
dnsmasq.  Currently, that means besides 2.63, they want to handle
situations where dnsmasq-2.48 and dnsmasq-2.59 are installed on the system.

1.  What is a "good" way to identify what services are supported by a
running dnsmasq.  The one currently planned is to do "dnsmasq
--version", capture the output, and check the version id.

2. What version do you feel has good, solid support for statefull
(enable-ra) and stateless (ra-only)?  As I first cut, I am guessing 2.60.

3.  Do you consider that DHCPv6 is supported in 2.63?  True, there will
be a problem running more than one instance of dnsmasq supporting DHCPv6
and, if you have not specified interface=, valid requests will be
ignored, but it is does, kind-a, sort-of "work."

If you want full service DHCPv6, then run at least dnsmasq-2.64test7 or
dnsmasq-2.63+patches.

Comments?

Gene