[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq identification

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 16:47:43 GMT 2012

On 06/11/12 16:41, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 11/05/2012 02:50 PM, Simon Kelley wrote:
>> On 05/11/12 18:18, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>>> Libvirt currently intends not require updating to some recent version of
>>> dnsmasq.  Currently, that means besides 2.63, they want to handle
>>> situations where dnsmasq-2.48 and dnsmasq-2.59 are installed on the
>>> system.
>>>
>>> 1.  What is a "good" way to identify what services are supported by a
>>> running dnsmasq.  The one currently planned is to do "dnsmasq
>>> --version", capture the output, and check the version id.
>>
>> You can query the version via DNS too
>>
>> dig chaos txt version.bind
>>

>>> 2. What version do you feel has good, solid support for statefull
>>> (enable-ra) and stateless (ra-only)?  As I first cut, I am guessing
>>> 2.60.
>>
>> Check the CHANGELOG. Given that's newish code, I'd use the latest
>> version I could.
>>>
>>> 3.  Do you consider that DHCPv6 is supported in 2.63?  True, there will
>>> be a problem running more than one instance of dnsmasq supporting DHCPv6
>>> and, if you have not specified interface=, valid requests will be
>>> ignored, but it is does, kind-a, sort-of "work."
>>>
>>> If you want full service DHCPv6, then run at least dnsmasq-2.64test7 or
>>> dnsmasq-2.63+patches.
>>>
>>> Comments?
>>>

>> I plan to start the release process for 2.64 RSN, so a couple of weeks
>> might see a full 2.64 release to use.
>>
> I look forward to it ... test7 is working well for me.
>
> Simon, I do not understand what "dig chaos txt version.bind" is suppose
> to mean/do.
>
> I tried it as you specified and also with one of my system's names in
> place of "chaos".  I got nothing meaningful and certainly nothing that
> looked like the dnsmasq version id.

Use literally that command. It's a convention introduced many years ago
by BIND. They usurped the long-obsolete CHAOSnet class and within it the
.bind TLD.

srk at spike:~$ dig chaos txt version.bind

; <<>> DiG 9.7.3 <<>> chaos txt version.bind
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;version.bind.			CH	TXT

;; ANSWER SECTION:
version.bind.		0	CH	TXT	"dnsmasq-v2.64test6-4-g2022310"

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.1#53(192.168.0.1)
;; WHEN: Tue Nov  6 16:46:42 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 72