[Dnsmasq-discuss] dhcp-range interface feature (I was using it)

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Nov 6 23:55:24 GMT 2012

On 06/11/12 23:53, Colin Ligertwood wrote:
> Hi All
>
> First, let me say how much I love dnsmasq. Thanks everyone for the great
> work done on it. It has become the new standard in dns/dhcp service on
> network appliances.
>
> The changelog states that the interface: flag of the dhcp-range feature
> was removed in 2.63 because nobody was using it, and its syntax was
> semantically displeasing.
>
> I'm working with a team on a network appliance product which used the
> interface feature of the dhcp-range flag to segregate different
> dhcp-ranges to different interfaces (obviously). In the changelog, it
> also states that the feature has become obsolete. If that's true, how do
> I replicate the same functionality of segregating the serving of
> different dhcp-ranges to different interfaces?

You don't need to: dnsmasq will automatically use the correct dhcp-range
for the correct interface based on IP addresses.

Any range whose start and end addresses fall into a subnet where the
interface has an IP address in that subnet is considered, any one which
doesn't, is ignored.

You should use --interface and/or --except-interface as access control
to eliminate DHCP requests on network segments where you don't want to
provide any service, but you don't need to worry about associating dhcp
ranges to network interfaces.