[Dnsmasq-discuss] dnsmasq for road warriors

sam at sltosis.org sam at sltosis.org
Tue Nov 13 18:32:02 GMT 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 09:03:03AM -0600, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:13:07PM +0100, sam at sltosis.org wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 06:11:43PM -0600, richardvoigt at gmail.com
> > wrote:

> > > I don't know where you got this piece of misinformation.
> > > Multiple nameserver entries in /etc/resolv.conf work fine, as
> > > long as the localhost entry (pointing to dnsmasq) comes first.
> >
> > It will work fine, but the system resolver might end up querying
> > an nameserver other than dnsmasq(localhost) which is exactly, if
> > I understood correctly, what /dev/rob0 wants to avoid.
>
> Yes. And thanks to Richard for making me look in the resolv.conf(5)
> manual. The listing order is the priority, but there's always a
> chance that lookups could fall through from 127.0.0.1 to other
> nameservers, and I don't want that.
>
> > That said, dnsmasq will poll your alternate resolv.conf for change
> > automatically, unless requested otherwise (--no-poll), so I see no
> > need to restart it after a change.
>
> Aha! I missed --no-poll. This looks to be pretty easy, then, using
> --resolv-file. (And --no-resolv is moot.)
>
> > This is actually what I was doing* on my laptop, a custom dhcp
> > client hook will fill an alternate resolv.conf file :
> > /etc/resolv.conf-dnsmasq (used by dnsmasq), and ensure
> > /etc/resolv.conf only contains the localhost nameserver with
> > optionnal supplementary parameters (search,...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> > This is obviously usefull for dnsmasq cache and other features (eg:
> > server=//), but also for some services/daemons which don't poll
> > /etc/resolv.conf for change on their own(eg: postfix)
>
> Hehe, it seemed a bit crazy to run server software on a laptop, but
> at least I'm not putting Postfix on there. (Yet? ;) )

Well I have to admit it may sound crazy, but it is not *that* crazy if you have
a terrible connection, where a simple email can take up to a few seconds being
sent I'm using mutt and I can't do anything else during that step if using mutt
sending facilities. (now imagine a normal email with an attachment, or a
network problem and the need to try again?! no really using postfix to do part
of what it is supposed to do is a must!)