[Dnsmasq-discuss] RFC: dnsmasq blacklist/whitelist functionality

Jonathan McCrohan jmccrohan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 14:04:53 GMT 2012

Hi Simon,

In an effort to work around some broken IPv6 implementations, I am
finding myself having maintain a number of manual address lines in my
dnsmasq config file. These lines force an A record to be returned,
denying the broken AAAA records:

address=/brokenipv6host.example.com/10.1.1.1

This works well for my current needs, but, it isn't scalable, needs to
be manually updated when the upstream DNS record changes.

Is it possible to implement a blacklist or whitelist functionality which
could be used to stop or only allow certain types of DNS records to be
returned by dnsmasq to the client? A syntax such as a the following is
what I had in mind:

blacklist=/brokenipv6host.example.com/aaaa,mx
whitelist=/brokenipv6host.example.com/a,txt

Does this idea seem reasonable? If it does, I can try to produce a
suitable patch.

Jon