[Dnsmasq-discuss] RA support in dnsmasq

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Sun Nov 25 15:31:02 GMT 2012

On 11/24/2012 11:20 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> OK, I am using both "ra-only" and "enable-ra" in a couple of libvirt
> dnsmasq instances.
>
> 1.  I am getting a lot of "clutter" in syslog.  How about using
> log-dhcp to also enable all of the "RTR-ADVERT" messages.  There are a
> lot of them but they really provide little if any useful information.
> That is, add:
>       if (option_bool(OPT_LOG_OPTS))
>
> 2.  I am getting a lot of RTR-ADVERT messages.  I know it is suppose
> to start off frequently but then slow up to a much less frequent
> period (intervals of seconds).  I thought this was a problem but then
> I looked into radvd and it also issues advertisements often so I
> assume things are working properly. However, I am concerned that all
> those syslog messages will lead others to suspect a problem where
> there is none.
>
> 3. Similar to radvd, should there be some dnsmasq parameters which are
> used to specify how often RAs will be issued?

OK, I am going to slightly increase the scope of this.  Simon, how
receptive are you to adding a "couple" of new options to enable/disable
some logging.

1. log-ra to enable RA logging which, by default, is disabled.  This
would be its own option and not related to log-dhcp.

2. log-dhcp-renew to enable the log messages about renewing DHCP
requests which would, by default, be disabled.

The messages from both of these currently run as if they were disabled.
Since I am running/testing using dnsmasq's RA services, I first noticed
all of the RA related messages and would like them to be normally
suppressed.

Apparently other libvirt users noticed the dhcp-renew messages and don't
wish to see them either.

If you are receptive, I will do the heavy lifting but I would like to
see this in 2.64 if there is possibly enough time.

Gene