[Dnsmasq-discuss] A reason for setting NS records in dnsmasq

Gui Iribarren gui at altermundi.net
Sun Dec 9 22:54:50 GMT 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Simon Kelley <simon at thekelleys.org.uk> wrote:
> On 01/11/12 21:58, Gui Iribarren wrote:
>
>> What do you think? would that be an argument for implementing this into
>> dnsmasq?
>> (or maybe there's another way to do this i'm overlooking)
>> (dnsmasq is running on a space-tight openwrt, so running bind9+dnsmasq is
>> not an option)
>>

> OK, I started with this and ended up with something that looks really very
> useful, but I'm not sure it solves exactly your problem. This is still very
> much work in progress, so the configuration and functions may change.

Impressive!
>From your description, it looks like it solves exactly my problem :)

It compiled fine in openwrt build environment, so i'm currently
building a new firmware to test it

in the meanwhile, a few comments,

> auth-server=<nameserver>,<interface>
>
> The nameserver is the DNS name that resolves (from the outside) to the
> address of the dnsmasq server, and the interface is where those queries will
> arrive, so that dnsmasq treats then as authoritative.

In my setup, things are not so isolated: there's only one interface
"br-lan" with RFC1918 ipv4 which serves dhcp relay to local lan, and
at the same time has a global ipv6 address set, where it receives
queries from outside.

> With the caveat that for A and AAAA records, the address must lie in one of
> the subnets given in the --auth-zone option. This means that, for instance,
> the RFC1918 addresses of my internal machines don't escape, since I've not
> specified those subnets.

Excellent!

> Importantly, queries via the auth interface are _only_ answered with
> internal data, they are never forwarded, so it's safe to make the service
> available on the internet and doesn't set up an open DNS relay.

I guess this won't hold up in my promiscuous setup, right? I should
separate the interface connected to the "private" network.

The funny thing is that "private" is resignified in ipv6 world.

I mean, say i get from my isp, public ipv4 8.7.6.5 and ipv6
2001:db8::1/64, in addition to a routed /64 for me =
2001:db8:FFFF::1/64

wan: 2001:db8::1/64 , 8.7.6.5
lan: 2001:db8:FFFF::1/64 , 10.0.0.1

i use auth-server=domain.org,wan
so, only the lan interface allows dns relay for my local ipv4/ipv6 network.

still, the 2001:db8:FFFF::1 is globally accesible :)
 and so while there's no open dns relay at 2001:db8::1, there's one at
2001:db8:FFFF::1

How did you manage to avoid that? Looks like a firewall rule to me
$ dig spike.lan.thekelleys.org.uk -taaaa +all @2a01:348:29f::1

Cheers!!

Gui