[Dnsmasq-discuss] How to get back to default Network Manager dnsmasq (local DNS cache only)?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Jan 7 15:17:21 GMT 2013

On Sat, 2013-01-05 at 14:16 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> A while ago I turned off the Network Manager loading of dnsmasq on my
> desktop machine and installed a 'real' dnsmasq so that my desktop
> machine could be the DNS server for the local LAN.
>
> To do this I commented out the dns=dnsmasq line in
> /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf,
> installed dnsmasq (apt-get install dnsmasq) and configured
> /etc/dnsmasq.conf. This all worked OK but I've now decided that I want
> to revert to the default setup and I can't work out how to do it.
>
> I have uncommented the dns=dnsmasq and I have uninstalled dnsmasq but
> there's no dnsmasq running.  The dnsmasq-base package *is* still
> installed but there's no dnsmasq running after rebooting.

Does the 'dnsmasq' package only include the generic config file
(eg /etc/dnsmasq.conf)?

Also, NM needs a restart to see the dns=dnsmasq change, but I'll assume
you've done that already.  We can get more debuginfo from NetworkManager
by running this command:

sudo dbus-send --system --print-reply
--dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager
org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.SetLogging string:"debug" string:""

which tells NM to start logging at the debug level.  Then reconnect the
network or do something that would cause DNS to be updated, and look
at /var/log/messages, /var/log/NetworkManager.log,
or /var/log/daemon.log (or wherever syslog's 'daemon' facility gets
directed).

To turn off debug logging, use "info" instead of "debug" in the above
dbus-send command.

Dan