[Dnsmasq-discuss] force --local/--server protocol

Mr Dash Four mr.dash.four at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 9 13:40:56 GMT 2013

> d) dnsmasq returns the answer with the "truncated response" bit set to
> the client, which then retries over TCP, and dnsmasq makes a TCP
> connection to 10.1.1.1
>
> The net effect of d) is much the same as c), provided that client
> behaves in the conventional way, so It may be a winner :-)

Thanks, I'll seek to implement that, though I have another query: if
dnsmasq receives a request from a client, which is directed to dns1 and
then receives a response from that server "not-implemented" what happens
next: does that error gets returned to the client, or is dnsmasq
forwarding the same query to dns2 and then forwards the response to the
client, provided it is OK?

The reason for asking this question is this: I have one dns, which only
recognises type "A" records, and another one, which has everything else
(A, AAAA, CNAME, MX etc). I would like to use dns1 as my primary dns
server as it is blazingly fast and because the majority of the requests
from the client machines would be for type "A" records, but would like
queries for records other than type "A" to be forwarded to the second
server, which might be a bit slower, but serves all types of requests.