[Dnsmasq-discuss] Additional feature requested for stateful DHCHv6 together with a 6RD-tunnel to the ISP

Vladislav Grishenko themiron at mail.ru
Fri Jan 11 11:09:05 GMT 2013

Hi Simon,

constructor:<ifname> stuff works well, and is useful not only for 6RD, but
for 6to4, upstream DHCPv6_PD also, and even for simplifying static addresses
configuration without dnsmasq restart. Great.
There's still some thought about:

1. DHCP stateless with dhcp-range=::1,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,64
Works with unneeded (in case of no DHCPv6 stateful) full address in log
	dnsmasq-dhcp[9636]: DHCPv6 stateless on ::1
	dnsmasq-dhcp[9636]: router advertisement on ::1, template for br0
	dnsmasq-dhcp[9636]: DHCPv6 stateless on xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::1
	dnsmasq-dhcp[9636]: router advertisement on xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::,
constructed for br0
For dhcp stateless, only prefix should be used/shown, imho

2. DHCP stateless with dhcp-range=::,constructor:br0,ra-stateless,64
I.e empty prefix before construction, this is not working at all. Neither
with 64 prefix, nor without (it's 64 by default, and resetting to 0, if
prefix is empty in options.c)

3. Only new addresses on interface trigger recalculation.
This works for scenarios:
	1. Del old address from interface
	2. Add new address on interface => only new is announced now
And this is not work well with backorder scenario:
	1. Add new address on interface => both addresses are announced
	2. Del old address from interface => nothing happens
If address is deleted, shouldn't it became deprecated for announcing (ra)?
Haven't played with address deprecation instead of deletion yet.

4. syntax constructor:<ifname> can be done in constructor[:<ifname>] way,
with usage of interface= data minus dhcp excluded interfaces.

Best Regards, Vladislav Grishenko