[Dnsmasq-discuss] Compile time error - prctl

Daniele sturia at tiscali.it
Sat Jan 12 16:38:30 GMT 2013

Hi there,
I'm trying to compile dnsmasq for my router running mipsel+busybox (it's
an AR7 based box). I'm compiling under Ubuntu 12 and the toolchain
should be working fine since I succesfully compiled other programs.
Compiling works file for all the components (cache.c, util.c, etc..) but
the process stops at this stage

mipsel-uclibc-gcc  -o dnsmasq cache.o rfc1035.o util.o option.o
forward.o network.o dnsmasq.o dhcp.o lease.o rfc2131.o netlink.o dbus.o
bpf.o helper.o tftp.o log.o conntrack.o dhcp6.o rfc3315.o dhcp-common.o
outpacket.o radv.o slaac.o

With the following error:
dnsmasq.o: In function `main':
dnsmasq.c:(.text+0x235c): undefined reference to `prctl'
dnsmasq.c:(.text+0x3b14): undefined reference to `prctl'

I investigated a bit, and found this thread
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.dns.dnsmasq.general/1162

so I dumbly entered the code, commented the two prctl calls and
succesfully compiled.

The binary looks to be working so far, but I'd like to understand a bit
more what I'm missing by having commented those calls.

second point: with uclibc, I get binary around 200 kB. Are there any
tricks to make it lighter at compile time? ie, I don't use DNS
functionalities, just DHCP.. is there any possiblity to disable the
compilation of the DNS modules?

thanks
daniele