[Dnsmasq-discuss] split networks with split DNS?

Jason dnsmasq at lakedaemon.net
Sat Jan 12 18:43:11 GMT 2013

I've recently setup a guest network which uses the same physical gateway
as my home network (both plug into same device).  I have dnsmasq serving
dhcp to each network (completely separate subnets).  My only problem is
a small cleanup item.

Here's approximately what my network looks like:

  /--------------\
  \--------------/   \---|10.16.5.1        |
 /---------------\   /---|192.168.5.1      |
 | guest net     |---/   \-----------------/
 |192.168.5.0/24 |
 \---------------/

When I'm on the guest network confirming that my firewall rules keep
them separate, I can't ping or connect to known hosts on the other
network.  However, I can learn their IP addresses.  Because dnsmasq is
managing both networks, it will happily tell members of the guest
network the ip address of hosts on the home network. :(

I'm not too worried about it, since the firewall prevents any contact,
but it just seems unclean.  Is there a config option I've missed in my
digging that will prevent this cross-talk?  I'd like to avoid running
two processes.

Also, the "interface:eth0,..." doesn't seem to work for the domain, is
there a way to give each network their own domain?

thx,

Jason.