[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 and MAC

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Feb 12 14:23:09 GMT 2013

On 02/11/2013 04:51 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-02-11 at 16:42 -0500, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
>> On 02/11/2013 04:06 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
>>
>>> Fedora 17 and 18, until 0.9.7.997, left the DUID behavior up to
>>> dhcleint, which appears to generate a default DUID itself; but the
>>> NetworkManager code will honor that existing DUID if it finds it in the
>>> interface+connection specific lease file [1].  If NM does *not*, please
>>> let me know and we'll fix that bug.
>> It is *not*.
>>
>> I assume that NM is suppose to be examining the lease file before
>> dhclient starts because it sure looks like it is dhclient that is
>> creating the default.
>>
>> I have a real-hardware system that I can reboot or whatever so if you
>> need me to test something, just tell me.  I know that it is
>> frustrating on both sides if I say there is a problem and you cannot
>> reproduce it.
>>
>> If you need to see the configuration file, then I should probably open
>> a bugzilla report and file it there.
>>
>> BTW, I tried putting the default-duid in /etc/dhclient.leases and also
>> in /var/lib/dhclient.leases and the only thing that seems to work
>> is /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient6-<whatever>.lease
> You want one of dhclient*6*.leases, in this priority order:
>
> SYSCONFDIR "/dhclient6.leases",
> LOCALSTATEDIR "/lib/dhcp/dhclient6.leases",
> LOCALSTATEDIR "/lib/dhclient/dhclient6.leases",
>
> or the interface+connection-specific leasefile, eg:
>
> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient6-cc98bcbe-ef64-4db7-9b46-b12ca02172e6-wlan12.lease

When I saw the above, hand slaps forehead ... of course it should be
dhclient6.leases and not dhclient.leases.

So I changed it in both /etc/dhclient6.leases and
/var/lib/dhclient/dhcleit6.leases but it still did not work.  Only
replacing the interface+connection-specific leasefile with the one line
file specifying the default-duid works.  However, I cannot see that as a
NM problem and will need to investigate dhclient.

IMHO, I do believe that the lack of the duid-UUID when the
interface+connection-specific lease file does not exist is an NM problem.

Gene