[Dnsmasq-discuss] DHCPv6 and MAC

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Feb 12 15:13:05 GMT 2013

On 02/12/2013 09:23 AM, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 04:51 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

>>> It is *not*.
>>>
>>> I assume that NM is suppose to be examining the lease file before
>>> dhclient starts because it sure looks like it is dhclient that is
>>> creating the default.
>>>
>>> I have a real-hardware system that I can reboot or whatever so if you
>>> need me to test something, just tell me.  I know that it is
>>> frustrating on both sides if I say there is a problem and you cannot
>>> reproduce it.
>>>
>>> If you need to see the configuration file, then I should probably open
>>> a bugzilla report and file it there.
>>>
>>> BTW, I tried putting the default-duid in /etc/dhclient.leases and also
>>> in /var/lib/dhclient.leases and the only thing that seems to work
>>> is /var/lib/NetworkManager/dhclient6-<whatever>.lease
>> You want one of dhclient*6*.leases, in this priority order:
>>
>> SYSCONFDIR "/dhclient6.leases",
>> LOCALSTATEDIR "/lib/dhcp/dhclient6.leases",
>> LOCALSTATEDIR "/lib/dhclient/dhclient6.leases",
>>
>> or the interface+connection-specific leasefile, eg:
>>
>> /var/lib/dhclient/dhclient6-cc98bcbe-ef64-4db7-9b46-b12ca02172e6-wlan12.lease
>>

> When I saw the above, hand slaps forehead ... of course it should be
> dhclient6.leases and not dhclient.leases.
>
> So I changed it in both /etc/dhclient6.leases and
> /var/lib/dhclient/dhcleit6.leases but it still did not work.  Only
> replacing the interface+connection-specific leasefile with the one
> line file specifying the default-duid works.  However, I cannot see
> that as a NM problem and will need to investigate dhclient.

OK, so I took a look at the dhclient code and it only looks for one
dhclient6 lease file.  It is either the default
/var/lib/dhclient/dhclient6.leases or what is specified by the -SF
command line argument such as done by NetworkManager.

NetworkManager could create a new NM file such as /etc/default-duid
that, if present, was use for the initial dhclient6-...lease file but
dhclient will do nothing to help.

 From my perspective, for NetworkManager to do something like this would
be useful because it could be set during the install process and the
system would be configured properly from first boot.

Would the NM project be receptive to a patch which implemented something
like that?

Gene