[Dnsmasq-discuss] Strange resolution when ipv6 ipv4 dual stack is used

Robert Simmons rsimmons0 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 04:41:42 GMT 2013

I've noticed an odd problem with resolution when ipv6 / ipv4 dual
stack is being used.

I use Ubuntu 12.10 which in turn uses dnsmasq 2.63.  The problem arose
in a virtualbox guest with virtualbox version 4.2.8.  The guest OS is
FreeBSD 9.1.

I have the FreeBSD guest installed in a VM that uses vbox's NAT.  This
makes the host's DNS resolver available to the guest as its DNS.  The
host's DNS in this case is dnsmasq, which is the default in Ubuntu.

When I let DHCP set the resolv.conf in the guest, I get incorrect
results for queries.  If I set resolv.conf to specify the LAN's, my
ISP's, or 8.8.8.8 DNS there is no problem.

The error that I get is this:
Mar 2 22:24:07 test sm-mta[689]: gethostby*.gethostanswer: asked for
"test IN AAAA", got type "A"

The guest OS seems to be asking for ipv4 resolution, but dnsmasq is
answering with ipv6.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?