[Dnsmasq-discuss] Auto detect domain with dnsmasq

Kirk Steuber kirkisrecursivekirk at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 05:47:37 GMT 2013

I already posted a thread detailing my problem on ubuntuforums.org, which
can be found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12530302.
Unfortunately no
one replied so I was hoping I would have better luck here.

I have an Ubuntu desktop machine that I am trying to configure as sort of a
replacement for my existing DD-WRT router.

One laptop however (Ubuntu), refuses to use the DNS information supplied by
the Ubuntu router. When it connects to DD-WRT, which also runs dnsmasq, it
does not use the DNS it supplies either, but instead uses what dnsmasq
sends as the domain. In this scenario, the laptop's resolve.conf contains
the following two lines: (where [domain] is the domain sent by DD-WRT)

nameserver 127.0.0.1
search [domain]

While I think this is dumb, I am going to be using the router to host other
people that could have the same problem as me, so I don't want to force all
of us to re-configure our computers; I would rather reconfigure the router
to do the same thing DD-WRT does. The problem is that as far as I can tell,
dnsmasq can only set the domain to a static value. I would like
functionality like DD-WRT where the domain sent is dependent on which
external network it is connected to.

It seems that on the DD-WRT router, the configuration file for dnsmasq is
stored in /tmp/ which leads me to believe that it is using a script to
generate the correct file given things like the domain and the static-IP
hosts. Should I write a similar script to fix this problem? Is there a
feature of dnsmasq that I am missing?

I would really appreciate some advice on this matter.

Thanks,
Kirk