[Dnsmasq-discuss] DNS server per MAC or IP address

Simeon Gelband simeon at brightip.com
Mon Mar 18 12:51:30 GMT 2013

Hello,

Is there a way to configure dnsmaq to foward sepcific IP address (or
range) to specific servers.

If my nework is 192.168.0.0/24

I would like to send all DNS requests from:
192.168.1.10 -> 8.8.8.8
192.168.1.20 - 192.168.1.50 -> 142.54.177.158
192.168.1.200 - 192.168.1.230 -> 208.67.222.222

While you may think this is an odd request it is very meaningful.

OpendDNS 142.54.177.158 provides an easy way to configure Parental
Control via DNS servers
Tunlr 142.54.177.158 provides and easy way to get sites like Pandora
and Crackle to work outside the USA via it's DNS server
Google 8.8.8.8 good old fashioned and reliable Univerrsal DNS service.

So on my network I want my Media devices to use Tunlr, my children's
devices to use OpenDNS, and my computer to use google.

So why not just use DHCP to achieve this goal?

Well there are time I want to easily move devices from one DNS server
to the next and I would prefer to not have to re-evoke dhcp on the
client to push the change.  Also, dnsmasq has so many other great
features that I like to use  -- that by DHCPing to these remote DNS
serves I loose this control. Finally, I want all clients to always
resolve their DNS to dnsmasq so that Parental Control can't be easily
avoided by simply using an alternative  DNS server.

Thanks,
Simeon