[Dnsmasq-discuss] Preemptive cache refresh?

Cristian Măgherușan-Stanciu cristi.magherusan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 25 10:04:20 GMT 2013

Hello,

I didn't yet read the caching algorithm, but does dnscache by any chance
preemptively refresh the entries that are about to expire a few seconds
before expiration, or will it just drop the entry from the cache and then
lazily resolve it again if needed, using an upstream recursive server?

This use case could be useful for server-side use against entries with
short TTL that always change such as Amazon AWS ELBs which rotate IPs a lot
and use 60s TTL by default. I think a preemptive resolution would somehow
even out all the requests.

Off course, this approach would mean that the cache policy would have to be
updated, so entries are cleared depending on the last recent usage not on
their TTL expiration.

Thanks,
Cristian