[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 support missing in "dhcp_release" and "dhcp_lease_time" tools

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Mon Apr 22 15:21:23 BST 2013

On 21/04/13 16:40, Tomas Hozza wrote:
> Hi Simon.
>
> I just noticed that tools in "contrib/wrt", specifically
> dhcp_release and dhcp_lease_time  don't support IPv6. We ship
> those tools as part of dnsmasq subpackage in Fedora. Do you
> have any plans to provide support for IPv6 in those tools
> or to provide their IPv6 equivalents?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomas Hozza

DHCPv6 is a whole different protocol, and the hacks used by those tools
don't read-across well to it. For instance you can't use MAC addresses
to identify leases, in fact you can't easily get a handle of a
particular interface at all, since even a client-id,
interface-adaptor-id pair my be associated with more than one lease,
each of which has a different lease time.

Do you have an application in mind for this? If so it's worth thinking
about how to do it properly (Maybe via DBUS?).

Looking that this, I did realise that the existing DHCPv4
dhcp_lease_time tool got broken in release 2.64, and I've fixed that for
2.67.