[Dnsmasq-discuss] IPv6 stateless and stateful together?

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue Apr 23 10:03:07 BST 2013

On 22/04/13 21:46, Conrad Kostecki wrote:
> Hi,
> i am running with DNSMasq 2.66 so far without any problems DHCP and
> DHCPv6. DHCPv6 is only stateful at the moment in my LAN.
>
> I've now some older clients (Windows XP, Android), which do not support
> stateful but stateless. But how do I configure this? Can DNSMasq serve
> both options? Do I have to run radvd additionally?

There are two functions involved. Giving IPv6 addresses to machines, and
telling them of other configuration, such is DNS servers, hostnames, NTP
servers, etc.

Giving addresses to machines happens either by using manually configured
addresses, SLAAC (stateless autoconfiguration - NOT THE SAME as
stateless DHCP) or stateful DHCP.

Providing other configuration can again be done manually, via SLAAC (to
a limited extent) or via DHCPv6 - either stateless or stateful.

A DHCPv6 server which is stateful is always also capable of being stateless.

Android clients (at least the ones I have) don't support DHCPv6 at all.
They get IPv6 addresses and limited configuration via SLAAC. You can add
a router advertisement server to your network to support SLAAC either by
running radvd, or by using dnsmasq and configuring it with the some
combination of ra-only, slaac, ra-names, ra-stateless in the dhcp-range
configuration.

If you already have DHCPv6 configured, just added the slaac keyword to
the existing dhcp-range is probably all you need.