[Dnsmasq-discuss] New to dnsmasq

Paul Marwick paul.marwick at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 22:45:25 BST 2013

I'm in the process of replacing an old home server with a new one,
Slackware based. The old machine uses bind, which is slow, horrible to
set up, and overkill for a small home network. I'm really happy with the
lookup speed I'm seeing from dnsmasq. But I've got something badly
configured, and I can't see what I've done.

External lookups work fine, and the machines on the local network are
all found by name. However, any attempt to ssh to the new server by name
fails, as does attempting to load the web server by name. Both can be
done by IP, just not by name.

This is what I've got for /etc/dnsmasq.conf:
# Configuration file for dnsmasq.
#

domain-needed
bogus-priv

resolv-file=/etc/nameserver.list
#server=/localnet/192.168.1.1
local=/ibmpeers.net/
domain=ibmpeers.net
expand-hosts
dhcp-range=192.168.1.100,192.168.1.200,12h

dhcp-host=00:01:d2:04:0b:d8,openwrt,192.168.1.2
dhcp-host=00:14:BF:70:9B:36,unslung,192.168.1.77

#listen-address=127.0.0.1
dhcp-option=option:router,192.168.1.1

# Set the NTP time server addresses to 192.168.0.4 and 10.10.0.5
#dhcp-option=option:ntp-server,192.168.0.4,10.10.0.5
# Set the NTP time server address to be the same machine as
# is running dnsmasq
#dhcp-option=42,0.0.0.0
dhcp-option=vendor:MSFT,2,1i
dhcp-authoritative

My resolv.conf has this:

domain ibmpeers.net
server 127.0.0.1

and I'm using /etc/nameserver.list to set up remote DNS servers:

server 8.8.8.8
server 8.8.4.4

The thing I really don't understand is it seems that when I attempt to
address the server from one of the other machines, it seems to be
addressing itself - on my desktop machine, which has the ssh daemon
running, if I attempt to do something like "ssh root at sms", the
connection is accepted, but when I connect, I'm actually connecting to
the machine I'm already on.

Any hints as to the stupid error I've made in setting this up will be
gratefully accepted...

Paul.