[Dnsmasq-discuss] several newbie questions

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Tue May 21 15:50:15 BST 2013

On 17/05/13 14:43, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hello. Firstly - thanks for very good and small dns/dhcp/bootp server !
>
> First question - is that possible to assign two or more ip addresses
> for same mac? For example i have server, that need 3 ip on iterface
> with one primary and two secondary. Is that possible via dnsmasq?
> If that possible - what dhcp client supports this?

I'm assuming you're talking about IPv4. It would be possible if the DHCP
client(s) provided three different client-ids. (client-ids are used in
preference to MAC addresses to identify clients in DHCP). Your main
problem would be finding a client which will support that and cope with
multiple addresses, I don't know of one that does.

> Second question - if i need dynamically add new mac-ip pairs in
> running dnsmasq server, how can i do that? Is that possible to add
> some file to include dir and HUPING server reload it? As i see
> documentation says that HUP and USR1 not reload dnsmasq configs.
> If dnsmasq not able to reload mac-ip info - how can i solve my problem
> (may be using external lua script????)

See --dhcp-hostsfile. Put the host declarations in a file, tell dnsmasq
about it and it will be read on SIGHUP.